Sunday, December 11, 2016

Things You Don't Say

I couldn't let these feelings go unwritten, so I thought I'd share them with you too.

Thanks for reading.

________________

Things You Don't Say

Sometimes I can hear
What you decide not to say,
Things that you know will hurt me
And things that would make your life harder.

You hold back your real feelings
Not just so I won't know them,
But because you can't face them.
Years of suppression
Years of denial
Years of guilt
And years of falsehood.

What you don't say cuts,
Digs deeply down
And takes root in my heart.

So when you leave
You leave me to growing doubts
And resentment towards all of our memories.

Sometimes I wish 
You had more self control
Over things you don't say
That you know could end the world.

You open the floodgates
To drown us in an ocean
Filled with your fear and hate.
The weight of your choices
The weight of your insecurity
The weight of your misunderstanding
And the weight of your shame.

What you don't say burns
In the back of your throat
And then explodes forth in a torrent of vitriol.

So when you push that button
You push the rest of us
Into eternal oblivion.

Sometimes I can feel
What you don't say,
Things that hang in the air,
That you know will crush you.

You carry your darkness around
And I can tell because
You aren't that different from me.
Steps moving like glaciers
Steps moving into the silent distance
Steps moving you closer to endless tears
And steps moving you further into the unknown.

What you don't say echoes
As I look into your eyes
And know how you see your life.

So when you keep yourself
In pained silence
You keep bleeding.

Sometimes I say things,
What you don't usually share,
Things that make me look foolish,
And things that I regret.

I open my mouth
And rush to catch up
With my mistakes.
Nights filled with sad reflection
Nights filled with remorse
Nights filled with broken memories
And nights filled with loneliness.

What I don't say fails
To remain unsaid,
Scarring both our hearts.

So when I leave the door open,
I reveal my callow nature
And reveal how I don't have a clue.

Things we don't say
Fit nowhere,
Wreck everything we know and love,
Slash your heart to shreds,
And make me want to disappear.

Words that leave me cold,
Words that drown the planet,
Words that abandon you in shadow,
And words that confuse and hurt you.

 If I could answer
The things we don't say...

...if only I could.

I'm sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment